It can be tempting to dive straight into decluttering. However, I’ve learned that while that might be our natural instinct, taking a step back and beginning with a crucial, albeit less obvious, step can lead to better, long-lasting results. Before you start decluttering, it’s imperative to know where you’re headed. Without a clear goal or vision, you’re navigating the decluttering maze blindfolded. So, let’s take a moment to explore why setting your vision and goals should be your first order of business before starting to declutter.
Why Vision and Goals Matter in Decluttering
- Clarity of Purpose: Picture this: You stand in the middle of your cluttered living room, surrounded by piles of stuff. You have no idea where to begin, and frustration starts creeping in. Having a clear vision of what you want your space to look and feel like provides you with purpose and direction. Knowing what you want to achieve from decluttering your home can spur you on and give you a sense of purpose.
- Motivation Booster: Decluttering can be a long and sometimes exhausting process. It’s easy to lose steam along the way. Your vision and goals act as motivational fuel. They remind you why you embarked on this journey in the first place, keeping you focused on the prize at the end. If you have a physical vision board you can keep referring back to this as a little motivation along the way.
- Streamlined Decision-Making: One of the biggest decluttering challenges is deciding what to keep and what to let go of. Your vision and goals act as decision-making filters. When you’re unsure about an item, ask yourself if it aligns with your vision and supports your goals. If not, it’s easier to bid it farewell. Check out the The 20/20 Rule of Decluttering: Game Changing Decluttering Hack!
- Customized Approach: Everyone’s decluttering journey is unique. What works for your neighbor might not work for you. Your vision and goals help tailor your approach to your specific needs and desires, ensuring that the end result is a reflection of your aspirations. You don’t have to follow the same decluttering approach as your friend – maybe they want to do it all in one afternoon whereas you want a more gradual approach? Both ways work equally well – there’s no right or wrong here!
Now, let’s break down the key elements of setting your vision and decluttering goals before starting to declutter.
1. Define Your Why
Before you start sorting through your belongings, take a moment to reflect on why you want to declutter your home. What’s the driving force behind this decision? How will having a clutter-free space impact your life? Your “why” is the anchor that will keep you grounded when decluttering gets tough. Whether it’s creating a peaceful sanctuary, a welcoming home or simplifying your daily routine to make your life easier, understanding your motivation is crucial before starting to declutter.
2. Visualize Your Ideal Home
Close your eyes and imagine your dream home. How do you want each room to look and feel? Consider the atmosphere you want to create. Do you envision a cozy, rustic haven or a sleek, modern oasis? Think about how you want others to feel when they step into your space. Your vision will be your guide toward the aesthetic and ambiance you desire.
3. Balance Form and Function
While aesthetics are essential, practicality matters too. Think about how your space needs to function in your daily life. If you have a bustling family with kids and pets, a minimalist, high-maintenance design with sleek white gloss floors might not be practical. Form and function should harmonize to create spaces that work seamlessly for your unique lifestyle. Dream big, but also stay realistic about your current life stage (and budget restrictions).
4. Seek Inspiration
If you’re struggling to pinpoint your style, turn to the boundless inspiration available online. Pinterest is an excellent tool for discovering your aesthetic preferences. Create boards, pin images, and let your style emerge through your selections. However, hold off on the shopping spree until after you’ve decluttered. You might already have pieces that can breathe new life into your space, and your space might look or feel different when you’ve decluttered (and the pieces you’ve bought may not work).
5. Create a Vision Board
To solidify your vision, consider creating a physical or digital vision board. Collect words, pictures, and ideas that resonate with your decluttering goals. Arrange them on a poster board or using digital collage apps. Place your vision board where you’ll see it often—your phone wallpaper or a prominent wall in your home. It’ll serve as a constant reminder of your goals and help maintain your focus and motivation. You’ll be able to refer back to this when you start decluttering.
Assess Your Space
Now that you have a clear vision, it’s time to assess your space and plan your decluttering. Head to the space you want to declutter and, standing in the doorway, ask yourself these questions:
- How does this room make you feel?
- What’s its current function?
- How do you want it to function?
- Where does clutter tend to accumulate?
- What do you need to do to make the space like your end goal?
Chances are, clutter is a roadblock standing between how you want your space to be, and how your space currently is. This is where decluttering enters the picture, but remember: start with a clear end goal in mind.
As you embark on your decluttering journey, you’ll find it incredibly valuable to refer back to your original vision and goals. When the process feels exhausting or overwhelming, these reminders will rekindle your determination.
In summary, setting your vision and goals is the secret sauce to decluttering success. It provides clarity, motivation, and direction, helping you achieve a home that truly reflects your desires and aspirations. So, before you dive headfirst into decluttering chaos, take a step back, visualize your dream space, and set your goals. You’ll be amazed at how this intentional approach transforms your home and your life. Don’t skip this crucial step before starting to declutter – your decluttered haven is just a vision away!