Your bedroom is mean to be your sanctuary, a place where you retreat to rest, relax, and rejuvenate, amiright? Keeping your bedroom organised is essential to creating a peaceful and harmonious space that promotes restful sleep and tranquillity. In this comprehensive guide, I’ll share practical strategies and tips to help you keep your bedroom organised so it brings a sense of calm and order to your life.
Step 1: Declutter Ruthlessly
The first step in achieving an organised bedroom is to declutter ruthlessly. Take a deep breath, set aside some time, and go through your belongings with a discerning eye. Ask yourself:
- Do I use this regularly?
- Does this item bring me joy or serve a purpose?
- Is it in good condition?
Items that no longer serve a purpose, are broken, or haven’t been used in a long time should be considered for donation, recycling, or disposal. Reducing the number of items in your bedroom is the foundation of an organised space. You might also like The 20/20 Rule of Decluttering: Game Changing Decluttering Hack! which is a great decluttering strategy – if an item can be replaced in 20 minutes or cost less than $20, do you need to keep it?
Step 2: Create Zones
Divide your bedroom into zones based on function. Common zones include the sleeping area, dressing area, and relaxation area. Each zone should serve a specific purpose, making it easier to keep things organised. Here’s how to organise each zone:
a. Sleeping Area:
- Choose the right bed: Select a bed with storage options, such as drawers or under-bed storage, to maximize space. We have one from Dusk which is an Ottoman storage bed, meaning we can hide all the things we don’t use often underneath it and keep the room looking tidy.
- Limit bedside clutter: Use nightstands with drawers or shelves to keep essential items like books, lamps, and tissues within easy reach.
- Make the bed daily: A well-made bed instantly makes the room look neater and there’s nothing nicer than getting into a made bed on a night.
b. Dressing Area:
- Organise your closet: Declutter your clothing, shoes, and accessories. Use hangers, shelves, and drawers to keep everything tidy and easily accessible.
- Create a designated space for jewellery and accessories: Use organisers or jewellery stands to prevent tangled necklaces and misplaced earrings.
- Maintain a laundry routine: Keep a hamper in your bedroom to collect dirty clothes, and establish a regular laundry schedule. I try and do a load of washing a day just to stop it all building up.
c. Relaxation Area:
- Keep seating comfortable and clutter-free: If you have seating in your bedroom, like a chair or bench, make sure it’s comfortable and free from unnecessary items. It’s easy to get into the habit of using the chairdrobe instead of your wardrobe for clothes!
- Bookshelves and reading nooks: If you enjoy reading in your bedroom, create a cosy reading nook with a well-organised bookshelf or bookcase. Keep your bookshelves neat and organised so you can find your favourite books easily.
Step 3: Maximize Storage Solutions
Efficient storage solutions are crucial for keeping your bedroom organised. Consider these ideas to maximize storage:
- Under-bed storage: Invest in under-bed storage containers or drawers to keep extra bedding, out-of-season clothing, or shoes neatly tucked away. If you have an ottoman bed, you can use the space underneath for storing things.
- Closet organisers: Utilize closet shelves, hanging organisers, and shoe racks to make the most of your closet space.
- Floating shelves: Install floating shelves on empty wall space for decorative items and practical storage.
- Storage ottomans: A storage ottoman at the foot of the bed provides both seating and hidden storage.
Step 4: Streamline Your Wardrobe
A well-organised wardrobe can make a significant difference in your bedroom’s overall tidiness. Follow these steps to streamline your wardrobe:
- Capsule wardrobe: Consider adopting a capsule wardrobe, where you have a limited number of versatile, high-quality clothing items that mix and match effortlessly.
- Seasonal rotation: Store out-of-season clothing in bins or vacuum-sealed bags to free up space in your closet.
- Donate or sell: Regularly review your clothing and donate or sell items you no longer wear or need.
- Organisation system: Implement an organisation system in your closet based on your clothing categories, such as tops, bottoms, dresses, and accessories. Alternatively you could organise by season, or even colour. Choose a system that works for you.
Step 5: Maintain a Clean and Tidy Bed
Your bed is the focal point of your bedroom, so keeping it clean and tidy is essential. Here’s how to maintain a well-made bed:
- Make the bed daily: Start your day by making your bed, which instantly adds a sense of order to the room (plus it’s lovely getting into a premade bed at the end of the day!)
- Wash linens regularly: Wash your sheets, pillowcases, and duvet covers at least once a week to keep them fresh.
- Invest in quality bedding: High-quality bedding not only looks better but is also more comfortable, and will last longer than poorer quality alternatives. I like to buy from The White Company and Dusk as I prefer crisp white bedding, and they do some really good pieces which last well.
Step 6: Organise Your Nightstand
Your nightstand is your bedside command centre, so keeping it organised is vital for a clutter-free bedroom. Here’s how:
- Limit items: Keep only essential items on your nightstand, such as a lamp, clock, book, or journal.
- Drawer organisers: Use drawer organisers to keep smaller items like chargers, earplugs, and reading glasses tidy.
- Cable management: Use cable organisers or clips to prevent charging cables from becoming tangled. Consider charging your phone in another room to help you sleep better – the blue light from a phone can disturb your sleep.
Step 7: Regular Cleaning Routine
Maintain a regular cleaning routine to keep dust and clutter at bay. Here’s a checklist for bedroom cleaning:
- Dust surfaces: Dust shelves, furniture, and decor regularly to prevent buildup.
- Vacuum and mop: Vacuum carpets or rugs, and mop hard floors as needed.
- Wash bedding: Wash sheets, pillowcases, and duvet covers at least once a week.
- Clean windows: Wipe down windows and mirrors for a streak-free shine.
- Deep cleaning: Schedule periodic deep cleaning sessions for tasks like cleaning baseboards, ceiling fans, and vents.
Step 8: Use Wall Space Efficiently
Don’t overlook your bedroom’s wall space as an opportunity for storage and organisation. Use wall-mounted hooks, shelves, or pegs to hang items like:
- Jewellery: Install a wall-mounted jewellery organiser to display your jewellery collection.
- Hats and bags: Hang hooks or pegs to keep hats, bags, or scarves organised and easily accessible.
- Decorative storage: Opt for decorative wall shelves to display art, plants, or collectibles while adding functionality.
You could also use the back of the door for extra storage with a hanging organiser.
Step 9: Nightly Routine for Tidying
Incorporate a nightly routine for tidying up your bedroom. Spend a few minutes each evening:
- Putting away items: Return any items that have migrated out of their designated spaces back to where they belong.
- Emptying trash: Dispose of any trash or clutter that may have accumulated during the day.
- Fluffing pillows: Fluff and arrange pillows to keep your bed looking inviting.
Step 10: Embrace Minimalism
Consider embracing minimalist principles in your bedroom to keep things looking neat. Minimalism promotes simplicity, functionality, and a clutter-free environment. Focus on owning only what you truly need and value, which can lead to a serene and organised bedroom.
Maintaining an organised bedroom is a continuous journey that pays off in terms of improved sleep quality, reduced stress, and a sense of calm. By following these easy practical tips and strategies, you can create a bedroom that not only looks inviting but also fosters a peaceful and organised atmosphere. Remember that an organised bedroom is a reflection of your commitment to self-care and well-being, and the effort you put into it will be rewarded with a restful and harmonious space. I hope these tips on how to keep your bedroom organised were useful!